Regimen + Goals

My Hair Regimen: I moisturize and/or oil my hair daily. As needed (usually weekly) I cleanse my hair and scalp with a moisturizing shampoo (or a clarifying one if there's build up). I do a moisturizing OR protein treatment with every shampoo. I stretch my relaxers 3-4 months.

My go-to protective/low manipulation styles: buns, braid-outs and halfwigs. In 2012 I want to start experimenting with more heat-free styles. I air dry most of the time and flat iron for length checks only.

I'm currently midback length (MBL) and actively working towards reaching waist length by my graduation in mid-2012.

Friday 6 January 2012

New Year, Same me

I haven't made any new year's resolutions. I've tweaked my hair regimen and vowed to be healthier, but nothing set in stone. And I feel like I'm making better progress than when I used to set resolutions.

Hair:
I tried a rollerset for the first time ever on Wednesday and I must say I can see myself doing this every week or two. the process was smoother than I thought it would be. The results were a fail though because of several factors (me forgetting to apply a leave-in, taking out the rollers before hair was completely dry, not enough rollers for my whole head). I ended up salvaging my failed rollerset with a saran wrap and touching up with a flat iron. But overall I was pleased and I see potential once I get my technique down pat. I really liked the volume and body my hair had as opposed to the sleek, pin straight results from flat ironing.

Today I did my first co-wash of the year. First I deep conditioned with Keracare Humecto in the tub -- side note this conditioner reminds me an awful lot of Motions Moisture Plus conditioner (which I also love). I added JBCO and EVOO to the dc and left it on for a few hours. Rinsed it and co-washed with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner - my hair does NOT like this stuff! It never has in the past so I don't even know why I thought this time would be different. Anyway, I applied my leave-in (aphogee green tea & keratin) and moisturized with Elasta QP Mango Butter (the new formula with olive oil...I like this formula better than the original version plus it does not contain glycerin which is apparently good for combating dry winter air).

I need to purchase another halfwig or find time to wash one that I already have...I run through these things like mad! My mom, and everyone else really, always asks why I wear those things if I have a decent length of real hair. They will never understand!

Body:
I've been making an effort to be healthier. No particular reason. I've started drinking water and green tea daily. I purchased some multivitamins. Also did some work outs here and there. Nothing major but hey it's better than the absolutely nothing I've been doing. I'm sure this will also help my hair grow faster, healthier and thicker as well. Only thing left is to get this terrible sleep schedule of mine back on track...

School:
I'm starting my very last undergraduate semester on Monday. I have mixed emotions. Anyway this weekend will be devoted to preparing for the start of classes...my professors have already posted reading material and things to do before the first class. I'm so not ready to start classes on Monday but at the same time I'm glad to be busy again.

Love life:
Or lack there of one? It seems like everyone around me is hooking up, in a relationship or going through a break up. Then there's me -- a 21-year old just doing me. I met this guy on new year's and I'm attracted to him. We've been messaging eachother on BBM but he doesn't really make an effort to hold a convo. It drives me nuts -- I wonder what he's thinking. Then again, I can't really expect to have a real convo over texting right. Anyway, what does this have to do with hair? Absolutely nothing so I'll stop talking about it. But for 2012 I will continue to stick to the philosophy of not searching for the right one...he will come (and he can even take his sweet time because honestly I have other priorities lol)

Back to hair...I'm looking forward to where my hair will be at the end of the year. I'm still going for waist length this year. And getting close! As for my stash...I've finally invested in a storage thing for all my hair crap:

Storage thing for all my hair crap...and I still couldn't fit everything lol smh


Hope you all have a fabulous weekend!

12 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Anyway, you should try this supplement called melatonin. I get mine from CVS. It's cheap, all natural and it works to put you to sleep. Take it a few hours before you wanna hit the sack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the RS experience was encouraging! I'm going to do my first official one of the year tonight. Hoping I dry quickly! lol. I love all the non-hair bits, body and dating. I can relate to "everyone" hooking up, girl I'm always the only single one among my friends' get-togethers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. **scolding voice** I can't believe you did your first rollerset with no pictures!!!

    **Regular voice** lol good luck on your non-resolutions this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shika lol don't scold me just yet! I did take some pics and will post them with my second attempt as a rollerset progress/comparison type of post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am dc'ing right now mentally prepping myself for my rollerset. I hope I am as optimistic throughout the process. Can't wait to see the pics. Also, EQP MB was an old staple of mine. I plan to restock when I use up my current products, glad you mentioned the new formula.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a new reader to your blog and I also completed Cosmetology school as a Stylist, May I ask why you think your roller set was a fail because of one of the factors of leave in?

    I recommend using mousse when doing a roller set, the one's that put body in your hair once it is dry.

    For body will just a flat wrap I recommend wrapping your hair around in a circle and letting it air dry over night.

    My hair has been long as I was born with long healthy hair but I did cut it but that don't affect the body when I flat iron it gives my hair more body.

    Thanks be sure to visit and follow my beauty blog too as I will be keeping up with your progress.

    http://greatbeautycaretips.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the suggestion Toynga. My hair had barely any leave-in (I pretty much frogot to put any in..duh) and that's probably the main reason why my rollerset was a fail. How does using a mouse compare to using diluted setting lotion?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No problem for one I do know that if you do not dilute the setting lotion correct it will make your hair hard, but the mousse will make your hair have a lot of body and make it very soft, never mind me as I see that you have progressed so much and it's good to see one of my black sistas taking time and dedicating it to their hair :) I hope it grows forever, Thanks for sharing. This is a good blog.

    Either one is good but I use setting lotion for spiral curls as the hold is much more harder, i would not want my roller set hard though, Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ally..

    I would like to find out, if i dont have access to popular moisturizers like shea butter what is a good substitute>

    ReplyDelete
  10. The search engines look at the tabs placed on the
    nerves in the neck is often an essential part of their desires that is not popular or is declining in its reputation.
    He is author of private student loans for people Financial Services to Seniors and the cretor of the Certified Retirement Financial Advisor Training.
    But do you really know what it is to rate restuarants.
    Now, your delicious campaign curry is ready with the product suppliers to carry out Private Student Loans for People tasks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...