Regimen + Goals

My Hair Regimen: I moisturize and/or oil my hair daily. As needed (usually weekly) I cleanse my hair and scalp with a moisturizing shampoo (or a clarifying one if there's build up). I do a moisturizing OR protein treatment with every shampoo. I stretch my relaxers 3-4 months.

My go-to protective/low manipulation styles: buns, braid-outs and halfwigs. In 2012 I want to start experimenting with more heat-free styles. I air dry most of the time and flat iron for length checks only.

I'm currently midback length (MBL) and actively working towards reaching waist length by my graduation in mid-2012.

Friday 3 June 2011

"What do you do to your hair"


When I get this question in real life, I tend to give entirely too much info! I have good intentions and I want to be as helpful as possible but at the same time I do not want to overwhelm people or turn them into product junkies. My overall hair plan for this year is to protective style (primarily with halfwigs) during the summer until I reach MBL. Then with a new semester of school in the fall I will ditch the halfwigs and rock my own MBL hair. Just some background...where I live (Toronto) a lot of the black girls have wigs, weaves and lacefronts. The girls who choose to rock their own hair are usually between EL-NL. Shoulder length max. I barely ever wear my hair down and most people haven't seen my hair down on a regular basis since it was shoulder length. So I guess everyone thinks I'm bald under here? LOL are they in for a surprise...

I created a topic on LHCF about this. Most of the LHCFers say they say something really simple ("I just use conditioner") and keep it moving. Although this doesn't waste energy on people who don't have a real interest in taking care of their hair, I think to some newbies this can come off as too vague to be remotely helpful. And of course vagueness can make people think you're holding out a secret. I remember having no clue about hair care and in high school and I asked this girl (black, relaxed, APLish but it was extremely fairytale LONG to everyone back then haha). Well I asked her what she does and she said "nothing". I thought she was the biggest hair snob ever. I ended up finding out that she does regular hot oil treatments. It's all good though because her snobbery motivated me to find answers. I did a google search, found BHM and the rest is history.

So now that I'll be wearing my hair down more, I am preparing my answers from now! I will most likely start with the basics and say more detail as the person shows genuine interest. I'll start off with "I wash and DC weekly, limit heat use, and keep my hair up most of the time." Then the rest I'll go with the flow. For example if they are relaxed I'll mention that I stretch my touch-ups. And if they are truly interested and have more questions than I have answers, I always always ALWAYS direct them to LHCF!

Speaking of LHCF, my subscription ended today. I no longer use PayPal and I'm not exactly sure how or when I'm going to renew. For now I'll focus on updating this blog more frequently!

8 comments:

  1. Hey! I just started following your blog. I noticed you just purchased some Taliah Waajid. My mom wants to try that but she's skeptical. How do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey KayTee,

    I haven't use it yet. But I've only read great things about it, both from relaxed and naturals. Maybe you could show her this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=371249

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl, yeah I enjoyed that post on LHCF and the responses. I agree that some people definitely are a little too vague!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful. LoL. I saw some of her products in the BSS and they had mineral oil/petroleum in them so I wasn't sure about them either (I'm the one who caused her skepticism as well, I guess), so I just wanna see what others say.

    And girl I just posted about this topic of not feeling like telling people what you do to your hair on BHM. I got sick of people giving me the side eye whenever I said something like "cowash."

    Check out my blog if you'd like! http://hautepinkheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I only mention co-washing, pre-pooing etc; if they really seem into it. Otherwise they may get overwhelmed/weirded out lol.
    Thanks for the link to your blog :) I subbed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Post!
    Im going to start preparing my answers also. I get this question sometimes. I never know what to say. Simply because there is SO much to say! I could stand there and talk about my hair journey all day long.

    But obviously They would say "okay thats too much work" " i dont have time for that"

    I got to Keep it simple

    ReplyDelete
  7. you're very inspirational, thanks a lot for sharing your juorney!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...