Regimen + Goals

My Hair Regimen: I moisturize and/or oil my hair daily. As needed (usually weekly) I cleanse my hair and scalp with a moisturizing shampoo (or a clarifying one if there's build up). I do a moisturizing OR protein treatment with every shampoo. I stretch my relaxers 3-4 months.

My go-to protective/low manipulation styles: buns, braid-outs and halfwigs. In 2012 I want to start experimenting with more heat-free styles. I air dry most of the time and flat iron for length checks only.

I'm currently midback length (MBL) and actively working towards reaching waist length by my graduation in mid-2012.

Monday 9 May 2011

My Thoughts on Growth Aids

In my introductory psychology class we learned about the term "self-fulfilling prophecy". What does PSY105 have to do with hair growth? Well the term self-fulfilling prophecy means a prediction that directly or indirectly causes itself to become true due to positive feedback between belief and behavior.

Image from http://www.surviving-hairloss.com/
In other words, expectations of increased hair growth due to X will affect a person's behavior in a way that causes those expectations to become true. For example, if Melissa falsely believes X will make her hair grow, her expectations of such success actually cause her hair to grow.

I've witnessed many bandwagons over the last couple years and tried a couple of them myself. But I think people get so caught up in growth that they don't realize it's only half the battle. Retaining length is just as important, if not MORE important than finding out what's hot in the growth aid streets. Not to mention the effects of these things. Is the stinky itchy scalp, crazy dreams, or new found mustache really worth it? And who even knows how these will affect us in the long term. Unless one has a serious medical condition that stops hair growth, our hair will grow no matter what. Retention is key.

3 comments:

  1. "But I think people get so caught up in growth that they don't realize it's only half the battle." -------- you summed up my mentality prior to starting my hair journey March 2009 with this line.

    "Retention is key." Yes, yes, yes. This was the biggest discovery for me.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICEEEEE post! Girl the migranes, smelly odor, and oily sheets too!

    P.S. I didn't use anything on THAT particular caruso set, but if I do want extra hold, after removing the rollers I use Jane Carter's Natural Hold Spray Gel. I feel it isn't as drying as other holding products bc it doesn't contain alcohol (but that could very well be in my head from the marketing using the word "natural" lol).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100%. The only thing I do now and will continue to do is drink carrot juice. The health benefits make it a keeper.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...